Posted 11/22/2017 by Denise Cripps
Sure, on game day, it’s the athletes inside the giant stadiums who get all the glory, making millions if they’re professionals; dreaming of millions if they’re the college variety.
But we’re willing to bet the games you really care about are the ones played pregame – right outside the gates of those sports palaces. The games that put your pride on the line. The games where bragging rights are won (and lost) within your clan of tailgate warriors.
That’s right, we’re talkin' Cornhole: The game that makes a tailgate – or any party for that matter. (Even daily “team-building” parties … er, breaks … at work each afternoon.)
So go ahead, have some serious fun indulging your childhood fantasies of athletic preeminence. Because the next bag you toss could bring you greatness!
Unfamiliar with the art of bag tossing? We've gotchu. Here’s a primer promising to elevate you to the ranks of Cornhole royalty:
- Grab two Cornhole boards and two sets of duck cloth bags, then call a gathering of your subjects. You know your equipment is fit for a king because our Cornhole sets are built to American Cornhole Association (ACA) standards and come with durable, double-stitched bags weighted correctly for superior tossing.
- Wage your battle two-on-two. Set the boards, facing each other, roughly 27 feet apart – or whatever distance works in your space – and position one player from each team at each board. From either side and behind the front edge, take turns underhand-tossing four bags of your team color, aiming for the hole in the far board. (And no. Don't aim at your teammate. Even if things aren’t going well....) After all eight bags have been tossed, your teammate and the opponent at the opposite board take turns tossing the bags toward the hole in the board at your feet.
- At the end of the round, bags that missed the board or are hanging off and touching the ground are worth zero points (and a small amount of your honor). Bags that landed on the board are worth one point. Huzzah! But bags that went through the hole are worth three points. You’re a king!
Did we mention the very best part? Anyone can become a Cornhole king!
- Play to 21 using cancellation scoring, meaning that points scored equally by both players cancel each other out. In this way, only the player's points that exceeded his opponent's are added to his team total. For example, if you scored seven points in a round and your opponent scored four, your team adds the three-point difference to your total.
- Optional Rules: Players can agree a team must win with exactly 21 points. A team that goes over 21 at any time automatically reverts to 11 – and should feel appropriately disgraced. Or players can agree that a team must score at least 21 with a lead of 2 or more to win.
As an added bonus, our boards have foldable legs for easy transport, so you can show off your prowess anywhere, anytime! And, unlike the vast majority of athletic pursuits, you can play Cornhole while enjoying some great craft beer!
Wanna really show off? The boldest and most brazen kings have customized boards. We can build you a set with your name (or family crest...) emblazoned across it! Or literally anything that declares you King Cornhole!
Because, why not?! You’re a king! The King of Fun.
Learn More Ways to Play Cornhole with our list of games!